Chiropractic adjustments are the cornerstone of all chiropractic care. Spinal adjustments help realign the vertebrae and reduce pressure on the spinal cord. Over time, chiropractic adjustments can even help improve the functioning of the central nervous system. At Active Family Chiropractic, P.A.; we use the following techniques:
- Flexion Distraction- Flexion Distraction requires a specially designed adjusting table. This technique is also called Cox Technic or decompression manipulation, and a method of choice when treating disc herniations, facet joint pain, scoliosis and other conditions. Patients should expect to feel a gentle stretching motion while on the table.
- Thompson Terminal Point Technique- Thompson Terminal Point Technique requires a specially designed adjusting table. This technique is also known as Thompson Drop. This table is designed to drop a fraction of an inch when the Chiropractor applies a quick thrust to make an adjustment. The subtle dropping motion, which patients feel as vibration, makes it very comfortable for most patients. This table and technique can be used for the spine or extremities.
- Activator Method ®. Activator method is used to treat back pain and neck pain. During adjustments, the Activator Adjusting Instrument applies a quick, low-force impulse to various areas of the spine and extremities.
- Diversified. Diversified is one of the most common forms of chiropractic adjustment. This high-velocity, low amplitude thrust is used to treat most forms of dysfunction within the body.
- Gonstead Technique – This adjusting style uses a hands-on technique. Chiropractors use it to realign joints, reduce pain and stiffness, and increase mobility.
- Palmer Package – A wide variety of techniques have been developed by chiropractic innovators. Over the years since its founding in 1897, Palmer has developed what is known throughout the profession as the “Palmer Package.” This is a group of chiropractic techniques that, once mastered, provide the Palmer graduate with the technique expertise needed to deal with practically any clinical situation that may emerge in practice.
- The Pettibon System - is a process of assessment and rehab procedures designed to specifically rehabilitate your spine and correct posture.
- Extremity Adjusting - We utilize a wide variety of techniques from activator to manual adjusting of the extremities.
In a study published in European Spine Journal, researchers found that the use of flexion distraction is beneficial for people who suffer from chronic lower back pain (defined as back pain lasting more than three months). Performing a control study in which 235 individuals were recruited and qualified as having chronic lower back pain, 123 received flexion distraction and the remaining 112 engaged in standard therapeutic exercises with trained physical therapists.1
Based on their findings, researchers concluded that participants who engaged in flexion distraction treatment via chiropractic care “had significantly greater relief from perceived pain” when compared to subjects who completed physical therapy. Thus, flexion distraction tables can be used by chiropractic professionals as part of an effective pain-relieving treatment plan.1
1Guadavalli MR, et al. “A randomized clinical trial and subgroup analysis to compare flexion-distraction with active exercise for chronic low back pain.” Eur Spine J. 2006:15(7);1070-1082.